How We Met (Written by Emily)


Our story all begins at one of the most romantic places on Earth--The Home Depot. I was working in the garden department for the summer and Kameron was working in the tool/hardware department.

One day I was watering the houseplants and Kameron walked up to me, smiled (with his amazing dimples), and asked if I "knew the scientific name of all these plants?" (What a pick-up line). I played along and made up some plant-sounding names. We flirted a bit and then he left to return to his department. I remember thinking, "who is that? Why have I never seen him before?" I didn't remember his name so I referred to him as "Hardware Boy."

At lunch time there was a grassy hill behind the store where I would go for lunch. It was a great place to be alone and get some peace and quiet. I was eating my lunch one day and looked down to see "Harware Boy" climbing up the hill toward me. I was so excited! He sat next to me and we started talking. He asked me out on a date for that weekend and I happily consented.

We had a fun first date--we ate dinner at Guru's, played air hockey, and went on a little hike in the mountains. We felt really comfortable around each other and weren't afraid to act a little silly. After our date, we talked and flirted a lot at work but he hadn't asked me out again. I decided to take matters into my own hands and told him, "I had a great time on our date, we should do it again sometime." Kameron replied, "Okay, what are you doing tonight?"

We went out again, had a great time, and went on a few more dates. The summer was drawing to a close and I was leaving to go back to school in the Fall. We had a "farewell" date and when we said goodbye I started crying. This startled me because: 1--I don't cry very much and 2--We hadn't been dating very long at all and had made no commitments to each other. I realized that I had deeper feelings for Kameron than I realized.

I went back up to school and Kameron would call and visit occasionally. We started calling more and more and then e-mailing constantly (there wasn't texting back in the day). I started going home more on the weekends to see him. Kameron eventually transferred to my university and we got engaged. And then we got married. And that was the happiest day of my life. I always tell Kameron if I could do it all over again--I would still pick him to marry. And I mean it.